Proverbs 4:7

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." ~Proverbs 4:7




Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Time of Bonding

Bridging the Gap



How well do you conversate with your children? Not to say that all of you have children. But for those who do.....how is your communication level with your children? Do you talk to your children as if they are beneath you? Or do you talk to your children as if they really mean a great deal to you? As if in your voice they could hear all the love in the world.

I recall a time where I used to say to my children, "I'm not your friend, I'm your mother".
Although I haven't said it lately, just thinking about bonding with my children triggered the memory of those words. We must be careful that we do not allow satan to rob us of our most precious bonding moments. The ones we have with our children. I believe that I have been so busy trying to be "Mom" that I've missed the part that is supposed to bond. I've learned that being a mom isn't just about enforcing rules and making sure that your children follow them. It's also about letting them know by showing them that you love and care for them. Children liked to be talked to. They like for someone to listen. They, just like us, want to know that they can have someone that they can confide in. Does this take away from being their parent? Absolutely not. It makes the parenting role even better. That's where the nurturing comes in.

I for one, have missed this with my own children. From experience, I know that my children don't feel confident that they can come and tell me anything. It's almost as if there seems to be a lack of trust between us. An invisible wall serving as a barrier to their hearts. I, for one, am on the other side dying to know what's within. It's gotten so bad to where my most sincere moments are looked upon with suspicion. I then become classified as pretending or being fake. It's my own fault, I know. Thank God for change.

I see that I really have a lot of work ahead of me. I am going to have to really push myself. And when I say that, I mean I'm going to have to be hard on myself. I have to bridge the gap. I want to truly bond with my children. I want to build friendships with them. I want the mother-son-daughter bond. As I cultivate my own relationship with God, I see that the time I spend with Him is precious to me. I want the time with my children to be the same.

I've purchased journals to begin writing letters to them. This will only be where I start. It will not be where I end. Everyday, I'm going to set out to make my children feel special to where they won't have to look for that specialness anywhere else. This, however, will not stop my role as their parent. I will not be without the rod of correction when it is needed. It only means that I will do it in a loving manner that says to them that it's all out of love. Better days are ahead of us. I plan to be away a few days as I need to sit before my Father. His face is so precious to me. So are those of my family. It is only imperative that I go to my Source to draw out the very nutrients I need to be able to nourish the fruit of the garden that I am responsible to keep. My heart and home.

 
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD:
and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
(Psalm 127:3)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment