Proverbs 4:7

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." ~Proverbs 4:7




Saturday, March 9, 2013

Couch Potato Christian

Can you imagine being a Christian who professed to being a Christian while the only thing you did was sit on the couch and profess your faith? You Facebooked and you Tweeted about the goodness of God, but your life has no resemblance to what you profess? Your children are lazy and rebellious, and your husband is doing all of the fighting for the family while you sit on the couch and do nothing. You hope and wish your cares away. You've become a couch potato Christian.

Will it be okay for me to ask for forgiveness if I bare my soul before the world? Some people may have a problem with me being so open about the things I've been hiding. Truth is, this is a social media network. All that my readers, visitors, family and friends have to go by is what I choose to reveal to them all. Or shall I say you all. I can paint a picture perfect family before you. But I choose not to do that. I don't want to. Why, you ask? There's no truth in it. And how can I ever be free if I'm hiding.

I have learned some valuable lessons over the years since I've given my life to God. Most of them, I have had to learn the hard way. But I am so grateful to God. Let me say this before I go any further. If you call yourself being a child of the Most High, and you never feel convicted of the wrong things you do. If you never are chastised by Him, you may want to check your walk.

Everyday I look for lessons from my Father. Whether big or small, I keep my ears open. What I do with them is a different story. I don't always apply. Sometimes it takes me going around the mountain several times before it finally sinks in. Lately, the couch potato Christian I asked you about earlier has been me. I've been sitting on my butt doing nothing while my family is being destroyed. Last night, I got a scolding from my husband. I didn't want to hear it. I listened. One of the things I am supposed to do is follow my husband. And part of following means that I am to listen. Usually, when he speaks, I say nothing at all. I'm not a stickler for conflict. I like to keep peace in my home by all means.

However, the couch potato Christian mentality is doing everything but keeping the peace. I don't like for my husband to be upset with me. Nor do I want my children suffering for my selfishness.  So, I've concluded that I'm just going to have to roll up my sleeves, buckle down, and get dirty for righteousness sake. There is a song by Mary Mary that says, "We all need a little bit of dirt to grow. We need a little bit of rain to wash our souls." To me, that means that we are gonna have bumps, bruises, smudges, and all kinds of things to come upon us. But in the end it will all be worth it. There is a process that takes place.

My family is worth this journey. In the next few days, I'm going to be blogging about the steps I'm going to be taking as I set out to build my house. Right now, I've just been confessing. I must work over and through the toxins I've allowed to permeate my heart. Confession is good for my soul. I must face the person I was so I can be who "I AM". "I AM" is the one God says I am. It's a shame that I have been living all these years as a child of God and I haven't even died to myself. I have to ask the hard question of who have I been revealing, Christ or me? I think that at this moment, we can all say me. Thank God for His grace and mercy that changes.

 
 
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:
old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
(2 Corinthians 5:17)


No comments:

Post a Comment