Proverbs 4:7

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." ~Proverbs 4:7




Friday, July 12, 2013

Things in Common

Principle #1

Paul: "For though I was free from all men, I made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak."

Me: "What do you mean, Mr. Paul?"

Paul: "I became all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

Me: "But how do you become all things to all men? I don't quite understand."

The more and more I read the verses of 1 Corinthians 9:19-23, the more I wanted to know what he meant. This was one of the many sayings in which Paul had intrigued me. If it was effective, I wanted to know about it. My life depended on it. After all, I wanted to fulfill my calling. How do you become all things to all men? "God, please reveal this to meeeeeeeee!" was my heart's cry.

That's when He told me. After much study and much asking, He finally told me. I am to become what people need at the time of their need. That's it! But wait.......How do I do that? What does that look like? What does that really mean, God?" I desired more clarification. Can you see me looking up to the heavens? My Father above had stirred my heart to want to know more about reaching His people. I had to ask. And He had to answer me.

One day before I went to class. This was not too long ago. I asked God once again. How do I become all things to all people. I know that I am to become what they need. But I needed to understand this elementary style. So I read the notes of my study bible. I look the verses up in other translations. And behold, there it was. My answer, titled in the footnotes of another bible translation, "Five Important Principles for Ministry". The clarification I needed had come.

I found out that day that in order for me to become what people needed, I had to find common ground with them. This entails things that I could relate to them on. Children, school, movies, etc. Whatever God opened the door of discussion to as long as it was in His scope of approval. So on this particular school night, I brought my dinner in the container in the picture above. As I was in the break room heating up the food, I noticed that a classmate of mine had brought the same container. I made a mental note of it. But that was as far as it went for me. I didn't think much of it at the time. I did, however ask her what she had cooked. But my mind was somewhere else. I was also preparing materials for Vacation Bible School. I quickly ate my food so that I would have time to print out some paperwork in the library.

The next morning upon opening my eyes, I immediately got what God was showing me by allowing my classmate and I to have the same exact container that night. He was showing me the principle of having things in common with the people that I am in contact. It's amazing the things God can use to get your attention. It's amazing what He uses to teach you valuable lessons. As simple as that little container is, it had a big impact on the lesson He taught me. Believe it or not, this is how conversations get started. No one wants to talk with someone that they have nothing in common with. Can you imagine how the conversation would go? Nevertheless, you will never know what you have in common with someone unless you open the door of communication to find out. This is what I believe Paul did as he became all things to all people. He asked questions. He studied and observed them. He looked for doors of opportunity.  And though this is just one principle, I desire to share the others with you in the days to come. Blessings.





No comments:

Post a Comment