Proverbs 4:7

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." ~Proverbs 4:7




Friday, May 10, 2013

Lasting Memories

Worth Creating


Today, I went to "Mother's Day Tea" at my daughter's school. It was a special day for mothers to come and spend time with their children, have tea, read books, and eat cookies (yum!). It was a day I really enjoyed. Upon, leaving, God showed me something about this day. He showed me that "doing things with your children will create lasting memories that they won't ever forget." This spoke volumes to me.

To me, this is one of the many events of my child's life that has set a foundation for her to build upon. And not just her alone, my other children as well. The things I do with them will also set the same foundation in their lives. Believe it or not, children look forward to their parents coming to their special events and doing things with them. And although most of these things don't seem important to us, they are important to our children. 

Another thing I realized about this special event is that one day, my children will become mothers and fathers. They too will have their own children. They too will have to do or endure the same things we have to do right now today. And the way what we do with them effects them today will be the same way, if not better, they will effect their children in the future.

What kind of memories do you have of the days when you were young and going to school? What events did you want your mom or dad to come to? What feeling did you have when they did come? What feeling did you have when they didn't? This one event made me think about this. Grant it be, I've been to plenty of special events that my children have had over their years of being in school. But sometimes we don't realize the importance of certain things until months or years later. Mom, Dad, there is nothing wrong with that. It happens to the best of us. I call it a growing stage. A moment where we come to the realization of how much we appreciate that moment. A counted blessing.

I thank my Father above for allowing me to experience that moment of being a mom, and creating a memory my daughter will never forget. I've acknowledged within my heart that these are the memories I want my children to be able to think back on. These are the kinds of seeds that I want to plant that will reap a harvest of love in their children's lives. No, not every memory they have will be as this one. But this one and others like this one, I hope and pray, will outweigh the ones that aren't. Blessings.

~ Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment